How do I register a trip?
Before you can register a trip, you must have a Smartraveller account. If you don't yet have one, see
Creating an account.
Creating a trip
First, sign in to your Smartraveller account. You will then be taken to the 'My account' screen.
Create or update trips
+ Create new trip
- Enter a meaningful name e.g. "Simon's school reunion" or "Vanuatu – Central High School – Year 9 – June 2017"
Save and next
Adding travellers to a trip
- If you have not created any travellers from previous trips click on
+ Create a new traveller. The first traveller will be the main contact. This can be changed later if needed. Enter their personal details for the traveller and then
Add the travel insurance details.
Add or create a new emergency contact. The emergency contact can be used for multiple travellers. It is preferred that the emergency contact is the next of kin to the traveller and will be in Australia during the trip. Click
- Select the relationship of the emergency contact to the traveller. Click
Save and next.
- If there are more travellers click on
+ Add traveller and repeat the process. If other travellers are using the same family member as an emergency contact you can select an existing emergency contact.
- Once all of your travellers have been added to the trip, ensure you have selected one traveller as the main contact, and that all other travellers have a "relationship to main contact".
Save and next.
Adding destinations to a trip
- Click on
+ Create new destination.
- In the
Search for an address or location field, Google autocomplete can assist in the search process. Search for the name of the hotel, city, state and country. If going on a cruise, search for the name of a city, state and country where you will make a port call. Click on the correct returned response.
- If your address is not returned, click on the tick box
I cannot find my address at this destination and you can manually enter the address. Please do not try to enter multiple destinations as the registrations are sent to the relevant overseas mission automatically depending on your destination. You will be able to add more destinations later.
- There is no need to enter Australia as your last location, we presume that when you depart the last country that you are returning to Australia.
- Add the date that you arrive at that destination and the date that you depart and your contact details at that destination. Click
- If you have more destinations click on
Add a new destination.
- Once complete click on
Save and next.
Reviewing your information
Once you have added travellers and destinations to your trip you can review your draft registration. At this stage your trip has not been submitted. If you notice any errors click on the
Edit this traveller button and update the detail or click on the
Edit all travellers buttons to add travellers. If you wish to edit a single destination click on the
Edit this destination button or the
Edit all destinations button to add or remove destinations.
From this review screen you can also print your draft registration.
Submitting your trip registration
When all of your travellers and destinations have been entered submit the trip by clicking the
Submit trip registration button.
A confirmation screen will be displayed with a registration number for your trip. An email confirmation will also be sent to the email address of the primary traveller if you entered an email address for this trip.
If you need to make changes to your submitted trip registration, see
Changing your personal or trip details.